Weight Loss advice is so readily available from weight loss groups to celebrity chefs and magazines. But did you know that most diets don’t work. Why? There is no one solution (silver bullet) to weight loss or improving your health. Most diets, or current popular food trends, focus on a one size fits all model. But you are unique and your dietary needs will differ to others, therefore what works for others may not be suitable for you.
This is where a dietitian can help. We work with you at an individual level to address the reasons why you over-eat or struggle to manage your eating. We help you change your life for the better through eating nourishing tasty food (not diet food), improving your relationship with food and teaching you the skills to do all of this within the context of your busy family, work and social life.
Approaches we use to help you with your weight loss goals
The non-diet approach
The non-diet approach is a proven method that teaches you how to eat mindfully and intuitively again. Intuitive eating means you trust your body with when to eat, what to eat and how much to eat as explained in detail below. A key aim of the non-diet approach is get you out of the diet and weight loss cycle.
When to eat, What to eat, How much to eat
Whether you are looking to completely overhaul your diet or just fine tune your eating for better health, the non-diet approach offers a unique way to do this without having to restrict certain food or follow a strict regime. The non-diet approach is suitable if you need assistance with any of the following:
- Yoyo dieting
- Being a healthier weight
- Non-hungry eating
- Emotional or binge eating
- Increased energy levels
- General health & fitness
- High cholesterol, blood sugar or impaired glucose tolerance
- Any diet related medical condition
You are not asked to follow a meal plan, weigh food portions or keep a food diary. If you have tried doing all these things before without long-term success, or if you struggle to follow plans or keep food diaries, then the non-diet approach may just be what you’re looking for.
The Standard Approach
Focusing on a Mediterranean-style diet with guidance on portion sizes, quantity and quality of foods, you will be given an individualised meal plan and set of strategies to implement.
We help you make the advice suitable and practical for you . We will also:
- translate the science of kilojoules (or calories) into everyday language
- work out how much you need to eat to optimise nutrition and lose weight
- achieve balance at your meals
- learn about appropriate portions of foods
- manage your hunger
- identify the habits preventing you from achieving your weight loss goals, and learn how to change them
- determine the nutritional adequacy of your diet and provide you with practical advice and recommendations to address any inefficiencies